Cloudy glass is a term used to describe glass that has a calcium build up. This causes a foggy or hazy appearance on windows. Cloudiness on glass gives the appearance that the glass is dirty, in addition it is difficult to look through. You should consider using a homemade solution to keep your windows clean and remove existing haze, preferably without chemicals or harmful detergents. Below are a few steps to help you get your windows cleaned using household ingredients.
- First you should dust your window frame and windowsills to get rid of any loose dirt. This will guarantee the dirt doesn’t spread to other parts of the window
- A quick and easy solution involves combining 2 cups of water with 2 cups of white vinegar or rubbing alcohol and approximately 5 to 6 drops of dishwashing liquid. This should be mixed together in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on your windows and wipe off with an old cloth. Be sure to wipe in a circular motion so that all the haze is removed. You can use a coffee filter or even newspaper to wipe your windows.
- You must allow the windows to dry naturally. The solution is not just for removing haze from windows, but also to clean windows on a regular basis.
You should avoid cleaning your windows in broad sunlight as this will cause the solution to dry up before you have begun wiping it.
Also Read – To Know Apartment Bathroom Decorating Ideas on a Budget
Here is another solution to restoring your glass windows:
- You must first wash your windows with soap and water. You should use extra soap and water as this will loosen existing grub.
- Next you should use a flat razor blade to scrape the glass as this will remove all the dirt build up, grime and paint that may be on the window. Ensure that you are not using the razor over the window putty.
- Rinse the window with clean water and wipe off the water residue. At this point many people may stop if their glass is cleaned properly however if not, you can:
- Get a glass polishing solution which you will find in most home improvement stores. Apply the polish generously, in a circular motion and allow it to dry naturally. Once there is a cloudy build up, you may buff it with an old cloth.
The process is much easier if your window glass is removed as you can soak the glass in a solution of water and dish washing liquid as this will soften and loosen putty or paint residue on the windows. Once this is done, you can follow the above-mentioned steps. You should always ensure that the chemical solution you use is safe and not abrasive. Chemicals like ammonia have a negative effect on newly painted windows so you should ensure your cleaners do not contain this ingredient. It may be a better idea to stick with soap and water if you are unsure what to use on your windows.